Thursday, 14 June 2007

The Seoul Story: The South Big Door Market

Ok, enough Tranformers for now. Lots of time for that later, since the movie is only opening on 28 June. So... back to my (short) adventure in Seoul.

Remember that picture of that old-looking gate I posted two posts below? (yes, before the whole 7-year-old gushing over Transformers. Which is still AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME BTW).

No? Well, here it is again:



That's the Seoul Sungnyemun, otherwise known as the Namdaemun, otherwise known as the Great South Gate (or in literal Chinese translation, the Big South Door).



I'm too lazy to retype the whole history of the door, so go read it yourself in this picture I took of the plaque:



Now, this gate is cool because it's right smack in the middle of the city, surrounded by modern buildings (the Samsung HQ is somewhere near also I think, which makes for quite a cool sight, really.

And I especially like the Dragon that is painted in the ceiling under the archway:



Anyway, nearby this historic gate is another gateway, another Namdaemun:



The Namdaemun Market!

You can get a whole lot of stuff here, but mostly clothes, shoes, souvenirs, korean food (that means Kimchi, seaweed, ginseng etc) and all sorts of funny little trinkets. If you're feeling brave, you can even try some live octopus.

Think Jalan Petaling, but with more kimchi.

Unfortunately, because I stupidly forgot to bring my camera on that trip to the market at night, I have no pictures.

But maybe later I'll show you the pictures of the kimchi chocolate I bought.

Kimchi WHAT you say?

Yes, kimchi chocolate. With all the natural goodness of chocolate AND kimchi! Tastes like chocolate at first, but with a kimchi after taste!

EW EW EW.

No comments: