Thursday, 12 July 2007

Wakin' Up to The Artiste Formerly Known as Emil

If there is one singer I wish would come LESS often to Malaysia, it's Emil Chau. Oh sorry, is he called Wakin Chau now? Whatever.

You know, that jolly-looking happy-go-lucky Hong Kong-born (thanks lisa for the correction) Taiwan-based dude with the overly happy smile who sings all these HAPPY and CHEERFUL songs like Peng You (Friends), Hua Xin (Flower Heart, literally), Ming tien Wo Yau jia Gei Ni (Tomorrow I Want To Marry You), Ai Xiang Sui (Love Follows) and so on.

Don't get me wrong, I like the guy. I love his songs. Heck, I grew up listening to him, and his songs are almost synonymous to all those good times I had as a kid. If a movie were made about my life, his songs would be the background music for almost every childhood scene I had. The happy ones, of course.

Somehow, after all these years... he is STILL around. And he keeps coming back to Malaysia for concerts.

Normally, I wouldn't mind so much, because Chau IS a class act, he is a damn good entertainer, a great singer, his rapport with fans is great and thus his live performances are always fun to watch. But even... please lar, don't have to come back EVERY YEAR right?

I remember the first time I went to his concert, way back in.... 1997 I think it was. It was great. It was fun. I had a blast. Since that first concert, I've gone to see him perform another three times over the past few years. So now I guess I'm just tired of seeing him live already. Hehe.

Oh, the guy is still good, and the performances are still happily fun. But I guess there is only so much of Chau's cheesy (but still happy) smile that I could take. Or maybe it's because he keeps singing the same old songs over and over again, because let's face it, after his peak in the 90's his new songs have not exactly been very memorable. So all fans want when they go to his concerts are those same old songs.

And this Saturday I'm gonna have to do it all over again. Gah. why can't Muse come to Malaysia over and over again? Now THAT is a concert I'd go to over and over again and not get bored...



------------------------------------------------------------

Update (16 July): Ok fine, it WAS a pretty cool concert. Bring on the sixth time I say.

No comments: