Tuesday, 28 August 2007

The Many Deaths of Eyeris' Earbuds

Since I got my iPod Shuffle more than 2 years ago, I've probably been responsible for keeping alive the earbud-manufacturing industry all by myself.

I've managed to go through at least one set of earbuds almost every other month, have bought all sorts of different versions of earbuds that never seem to last as long as they should. Heck, the way I've gone through my earbuds, it's practically a miracle that my iPod Shuffle stills works and I haven't lost it yet. I love my iPod shuffle, and it's not even the newest clip-on one.

Anyway, from being dropped into the toilet, accidnetly dropping it on the floor, slamming it on a car door, you name it, I've probably killed my earbuds that way. In fact, one of the most common ways I've killed my earbuds is like this:

  • I'd be walking around happily in a mall, listening to it with the long wire dangling from my jeans pocket to my ear.
  • Then I notice that my shoelace is undone, so I kneel down to laced them up again.
  • Then as I get up, the damn wire gets snagged around my KNEE...
  • ...and when I get up...
  • ... they are then YANKED OUT of my ears, resulting in me going ARGH! ME EARS! ME EARS!
  • that ARGH! is then followed by a swear word when I find that the earbuds have been damaged from being slingshot onto the floor by my knees with such force that the damn things have broken open.

I've lost count of how many earbuds I've killed that way. You'd think it would have thought me to at least be more careful when tying my shoelaces, but NOOO...

Anyway, one of the earliest ways I used to kill my earbuds with was by SWINGING my iPod around by the wire in rapidly quicker circles until the wirse become loose and one or both of the earbuds doesn't have any sound any more.

It's very annoying when one of the earbuds loses its sound. Then I'd only be listening to the music from ONE earbud, and it tends to be rather tiring on that ear so I have to constantly switch ears. Not to mention it's annnoying when some songs REQUIRE the use of two earbuds thanks to their left-right-left-right sounds. GRRR.

Ooh, and what about that time I threw my iPod, wires and all, into the car back seat, closed the door WITHOUT REALISING that the right earbud was still hanging OUTSIDE the car, and thus when I drove off, they were dragged along the road like Michael J. Fox in Back to the Future III. No prizes for guessing what happened to THEM. But at least the left one could still be used...

Speaking of which, I've even managed to yank one side out of an earbud set, and use that single earbud to listen to songs (good for boring meetings, because one earbud is easier to conceal then two earbuds...).

Anyway, that brings me to the main point of this story... CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHERE TO GET A GOOD, REASONABLY CHEAP PAIR OF EARBUDS TAHT CAN LAST AT LEAST A YEAR WITHOUT LOSING THE SOUND IN ONE SIDE?

(and please, none of those hugeass ear-covering headphones please. I don't need my earphones to be bigger than my iPod shuffle thank you very much...)

No comments: