Tuesday, 18 September 2007

The Wheel Of Time Stops For Robert Jordan



From The UK SF Book News Network:
James Oliver Rigney Jr. - better known to the world as bestselling fantasy author Robert Jordan - passed away at 2.45 p.m. yesterday afternoon, September 16th, having finally lost his battle with a rare form of cancer which was first diagnosed in March 2006.

I have to admit that when Shaolin Tiger mentioned Robert Jordan in the comments of the last post, I thought he was joking. Ironically, he wasn't.

When I read the later comments and realised that Jordan had really passed away, I have to admit that I was a little stunned (Neil Gaiman was stunned as well, and as a result, is considering staying out of the UK in September in the future to keep everyone alive).

While I've given him a lot of stick for dragging his Wheel of Time saga on and on forever, it IS quite sad that he has passed away without completing the final chapter of that saga.

The Wheel of Time was one of the earliest fantasy series' I'd read, and despite all my complaints, I have to admit the first five books are STILL some of the best fantasy I've EVER read. To add to that, I also have this feeling of having grown up with the books as well; therefore, for all my whining about it going on forever, I WAS still kinda looking forward to seeing the conclusion of this saga.

So here's to Robert Jordan, author of the unended Wheel of Time series.

May that final book be published in his memory.

No comments: