Tuesday, 13 November 2007

Bob Blanchett Dylan and The Bono Beatles Go To The Movies

I should probably be posting the Movie-Not-Review of Beowulf right now, but I'm irritated incorporated right now and I can't be arsed to try and be funny. So there.

Anyway, I'd like to combine some music and movies in this post, and feature two movies about musicians that I've been intrigued by recently.

Here's the first:



Yes, I'm Not There a movie about Bob Dylan. the dude who came up with songs like Blowing In The Wind, Like a Rolling Stone, and many, many, many more.

Now, even though I'm not exactly a big fan of Dylan's music, I'm naturally quite curious about this movie. It film depicts Dylan through seven different stages of his life played by six different actors (is the seventh Dylan playing himself? That would be so cool, right?)



Now, if that isn't enough to pique your curiosity, check out the names of the people playing Dylan: Christian Bale. Richard Gere. Heath Ledger. and Cate Blanchett.

Cate Blanchett you say? Yup, you got that right. This hot mama:



Will be playing this er... not-so-hot grandpapa:



Granted, she plays a much younger Dylan, and she does look the part as shown in this comparison photo below:


Can you tell which Dylan actually has boobs?

Anyway, one wonders what Dylan himself thinks of the film. Would he even watch it? Or does he go, "Bah, another rerun."? Or would he go watch it and go, "Hey, Cate does a better me than I did!"

Whatever. I'm still intrigued by the movie. Maybe after watching it I might actually start LIKING Bob Dylan's music...

Anyway, another music-related movie I'm quite intrigued by is this one:



Beatles fans will know that title AND the blurb on the poster are the titles of Beatles songs.

Across The Universe is actually an original movie musical, a love story about a pair of star-crossed lovers, Jude (Jim Sturgess) and Lucy (Evan Rachel Wood); and features 34 songs by the Beatles, as well as a cameo by Bono (yesm that dude from U2) as Dr. Robert.

I'm a real sucker for pop culture referencing movies like this (heck, I loved that Beatles-influenced episode of the Powerpuff Girls), and there are few bands bigger and with more pop culture milestones than the Beatles. All the major characters in the film are named after names in Beatles songs, the dialogue has references to their lyrics, and heck, there is even a rooftop concert later on.

No matter whether the movie will suck or not, Beatles fans should have a blast looking out for all the references to the band, and singing along to the songs (I've already heard the soundtrack, and it's pretty decent).

So yeah, bring on Dylan and the Beatles. Then maybe I'll be in the mood for some Johnny Cash or some Jim Morrison next...

No comments: