Wednesday, 28 November 2007

The Quest For The Perfect Eyeris-Friendly Bookstore

(Have I written about this before? Because if I have, then do bear with me, because I'm a little peeved at a recent bookstore experience that really got my goat. hehe)

GODDAMMIT I HAVE blogged about it before HERE. WTF, I can't even remember my own posts these days....

Oh well, consider this an er.. update of an old post lah. heheheh.



----------------------------------------------

One of the reasons I prefer going to Kinokuniya so much more than the other bookstores in KL is because it is pretty much the closest I can get to my ideal bookstore, meaning it doesn't piss me off as much as the some of the others.

Here are some of my pet peeves about bookstores:

  • Fantasy is fantasy. Science Fiction is Science Fiction. They are DIFFERENT GENRES, and should have SEPARATE SHELVES. I hate it when I go to that section, and the fantasy and SF books are all lumped together on the same shelves. It means I have to take more time searching for the authors I want.

  • Oh, and while we're at it, please give the Forgotten Realms / Dragonlance / Star Wars / Star Trek books a sepArate shelf so they don't clog up precious fantasy/SF space.

  • Dedicating one entire shelf to Dan Brown books just because they sell more.

  • Store staff who are completely clueless about the books and authors the store carries.

  • Manga is manga. Graphic novels are graphic novels. I prefer my Alan Moores to be on a different shelf altogether, not stuck in between Ah! My Goddess and Bleach.

  • If you're gonna wrap up the books so that people won't vandalise them, at least leave ONE copy of the book unwrapped so that people can go through it and see if it's really worth buying.

  • Stop putting the bloody price tags on the synopsis - I hate it when the bookstores stick their price tags on the synopsis of the book so you can't read what it's about.

  • And while we're on price tags, PLEASE don't paste them ON the front covers of the books, especially on paperback, because sometimes they TEAR THE COVER when you try to prise off the price tag. Paste them on the back, or just use price tags that are easy to peel off without having to use a wood chipper.

  • PLEASE don't have silly non-book sections like CD sections, Worlds of Feng Shui etc etc.

  • And please, for the love of god, if you're going to play music, play something soothing like some unrecognisable classical music. It's very annoying listening to Michael Learns To Rock pretending to be Jacky Cheung while you're trying to read..


Will add more when I think of more. I need to get back to my poker story now...

No comments: