Thursday, 3 January 2008

The Sore That Meets The Eye Turns Out To Be Much Much More

Remember THIS?:

SORE THAT MEETS THE EYE



Well, I've just watch the special three-episode special premiere of the actual Transformers Animated show (downloaded lar, of course. I don't even have Cartoon Network anymore because I had to take it out of my Astro package ever since they revamped their bloody channels... sigh...), and surprisingly... it's not bad. In fact, I quite liked it.

Sure, Optimus Prime sounds like some teenager who just rolled off the conveyor belt, and the humans are still bloody annoying, but it's got enough G1 homages, familiar characters, and cool designs to make me wanna watch more of it. At the very least, it didn't annoy the hell out of me like Galaxy Force, Armada or Energon did.

The story for the show is actually pretty interesting, and I like the fact that most of the Autobots are kids except Ratchett, who is now this grizzly, grumpy old fart who lived through the original G1 war between the Autobots and the Decepticons (some scenes from said war, together with a picture of the G1 Megatron is slotted into the show at the beginning as well, how cool is that?). The fact that it has ties with the original G1 series also warms the cockles in my spark.

The script for the show was also surprisingly smart and crisp, very much like some of the better Cartoon Network cartoons I'd loved in the past like Samurai Jack and even Megas XLR. It doesn't feel like it's dumbing down for kids like the previous cartoons did (even though it essentially IS for kids...)

That said, it IS a cartoon after all, so don't be expecting Heroes-like drama or other stuff adult shows have. It DOES keep to the spirit of the original G1 cartoon - smart-talking, cool transforming robots with some annoying human characters thrown into the mix - and it actually made me want to buy some of the toys when they come out too.

And when a show that exists merely to entice you to buy its toys actually does its job well enough to REALLY make you want to buy the toys, you know you should at least give it a chance...



PS: Besides, with the writer's strike in USA messing up all the TV shows that I love, at least this show gives me something to look forward to every week... sigh...

No comments: