Friday, 21 March 2008

How to Match It For Pratchett And Wear It Proudly

I bought a shirt today!

Ok, it's not just any shirt. it's THIS shirt:


Match It For Pratchett? What Brand is that you ask? And what's so special about it?

Well, for one, the money I paid for this shirt is all going to research for Alzheimers disease. What's a shirt got to do with Alzheimers?

As I've already lamented before on this blog, Terry Pratchett announced a few months back that he has Alzheimers, and he recently donated one million bucks to the Alzheimer’s Research Trust Network (go read his letter to the Trust here: it's got L. Ron Hubbard, Greek Choruses, and Lara Croft's buttocks, making for one of the funniest 'donation letters' I've ever read).

Here's an excerpt:

Ladies and Gentlemen. My name is Terry Pratchett, author of a series of inexplicably successful fantasy books and I have had Alzheimer’s now for the past two years plus, in which time I managed to write a couple of bestsellers. I have a rare variant. I don’t understand very much about it, but apparently if you are going to have Alzheimer’s it’s a good one to have. So, a stroke of luck there then…

Anyway, where does my T-shirt come in then? Well, a bunch of Pratchett's fans have apparently set up a fund in which they are trying to get Pratchett fans from ALL OVER THE WORLD to help MATCH Pratchett's donation, and you can check it out at MATCHITFORPRATCHETT.ORG.

There, you can either donate by giving money directly to the Alzheimer's Research Trust, use the Tip Jar to give a donation or like me, buy a T-Shirt. Of course, you don't actually have to spend any money if you chose to. You can just blog about it, or tell your friends about it. Jsut spread the word!

So there you have it. If you love Pratchett's books, and you believe in supporting a good cause, then head on over to Match It For Pratchett and show your support now!

PS: Take note that the website is actually an UNOFFICIAL one, so if you really want to make sure your donation goes to the right place, you can donate directly to the fund HERE. Me, I liked the shirt so much I decided to buy that instead. :D

PSS: check out also this cool interview with Pratchett. Now I REALLY WISH I could just have one interview with the guy... sigh...

No comments: