Wednesday, 19 March 2008

R.I.P. Arthur C. Clarke, Legend of Science Fiction



R.I.P.
Arthur C. Clarke
(1917-2008)



Arthur C. Clarke, 90, Science Fiction Writer, Dies

Arthur C. Clarke, a writer whose seamless blend of scientific expertise and poetic imagination helped usher in the space age, died early Wednesday in Colombo, Sri Lanka, where he had lived since 1956. He was 90.

And another one bites the dust. Sigh.

I'm ashamed to say that I wasn't not even sure if Arthur C. Clarke was still alive until I found out he just died. I mean, this is one of the Science Fiction Legends we're talking about, one of the names spoken in the same breath as those of Isaac Asimov, Frank Herbert and Philip K. Dick. And I didn't know he was still alive. Oh the shame...

Although Clarke wasn't exactly one of my favorite writers (I've only ever read 2001: Space Odyssey, though I do own a couple more of his books), I have to salute him for what he brought to the Science Fiction genre. And for helping Stanley Kubrick make one hell of a film.

So here's to you, Arthur C. Clarke, creator of worlds, visionary of the future, collaborator of Kubrick, and Legend of Science Fiction. Say hi to Isaac and Frank for me.

No comments: