Tuesday, 8 April 2008

KL International Book Fair: Lots of Books, a Sharon and a Big Red Dinosaur

Last weekend, I went to the KL International Book Fair at the PWTC.

What did I see there? Well....



BOOKS....



BOOKS....



And MORE BOOKS....



Yes, it's a BOOK FAIR after all. So of course there were lots of books. Duh. And it's a REALLY BIG ONE too. It spans like almost FOUR HALLS all across the PWTC, and is so big that the announcers had to constantly remind people over the PA system to head over to the OTHER halls as well.



But while one can't deny the sheer size of the book fair, and the amount of books there, I also have to say that this is the greatest amassment of books I am NOT INTERESTED IN that I have ever seen in my life.

Sure, you had big local publishers and distributers like MPH, Times Publishing, Sasbadi, Pansing, DBP and etc, but I can safely say that at least 80% or even more of the books there were either textbooks, workbooks, or reference books; and that almost 90% were in Malay.

The only booths I was remotely interested in was the Payless one:



Which had most of the books I'd already seen in OTHER Payless outlets around KL anyway; and this other stall selling old magazines and paperbacks...



...which had some interesting old mags but nothing I haven't seen before as well.

So... after an hour of wandering around the book fair (actually I was trying to find my way to the Kata Suara session on Sunday but couldn't find the damn place. Then again, I was a bit late so I probably missed it anyway), I didn't see a single book that I was even remotely interested in. Which is practically a miracle for me.

I WAS however interested in this booth:



Gila-Gila! Woot! They even had some of their artists there drawing caricatures for people...



Unfortunately, I didn't recognise any of the artists from when I used to read Gila-Gila (geez, has it REALLY been that long since I read it?), so I walked on.

Anyway, it WAS my first time at the KL International Book Fair, and it was an eye-opener indeed. That's because I was so surprised that there were so many people at the book air though. I'd have thought that something as 'boring' as a BOOK FAIR wouldn't exactly be a crowd-puller, but surprisingly, there were a lot of people there, mostly families. granted, There were probably more baby strollers than interested readers there, but hey, at least there is a CROWD. Who says Malaysians aren't interested in books, eh? Whether they READ books is one thing, but at least they're intereseted in them, right?

And who knows, maybe in the future those little kids running around with balloons and those babies in strollers will grow up to equate book fairs to FUN, and think that books are FUN as well!

Who knows, maybe next time, those kids will grow up to be VOCIFEROUS READERS and BOOK FANATICS like a certain Sharon Bakar I know, who goes to book fairs just because there are books there, corrects the grammar on their posters...



...and then take strange pictures with RED DINOSAURS....



So, who says Book fairs aren't fun, eh? :D

No comments: