Friday, 25 April 2008

Rejoice! The Summer Blockbuster Season Is Upon Us!

Seeing the Iron Man cover on the paper today made me realise one thing:

WOOHOO! THE SUMMER BLOCKBUSTER SEASON IS HERE! HOORAY FOR SUPERHEROES, ADVENTURERS AND CHEESY CGI EFFECTS! WOOHOO!!!!

Ahem.

So, as a little service to all 30 of you out there who actually come here to read SOMETHING, here's a little round-up of what to expect this couple of months. And trust me, it's gonna be one hell of a Summer Blockbuster season this year...

(BTw, all release dates are US dates unless stated otherwise...)

------------------------------------------------------


Iron Man
(April 30, Malaysian release date)

My colleague, who has already seen the movie, lucky bastard, says that this movie exceeded all his expectations and blew his apprehensions away. And Judging from the kickass trailers that have already been released, I'd say Marvel has another hit franchise on their hands.


------------------------------------------------------


Speed Racer
(May 9, Malaysian release date)

My expectations for this movie are kinda low, especially since the trailers have a rather er... Technicoloured cheesy-looking feel to them. Somehow I doubt it's gonna reach the heights that The Matrix did, but hey, I'll watch it just because it's the Warchowskis.



------------------------------------------------------


The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian
(May 15, Malaysian release date)

Say what you want about the first movie,I kinda liked it, and it's still miles ahead of many other adaptations of children's fantasy books. Besides, Prince Caspian is my favorite of all the Narnia books, and I can't wait to see how Reepicheep is like!


------------------------------------------------------


Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of The Crystal Skull
(May 22, Malaysian release date)

Don't know who Indiana Jones is? Hop into that Delorean, go back to the 80's and check out the coolest adventurer in movie history! The Fedora is back! Woohoo!



------------------------------------------------------


Kungfu Panda
(June 6)

To tell the truth I'm not THAT excited over this movie, not with Wall-E coming up so soon after it. And the LAST TIME Angelina Jolie and Jack Black were in a cartoon together, it was for that awful Shark Tale. But still, it's a cartoon, and I'm a real sucker for cartoons....



------------------------------------------------------


The Incredible Hulk
(June 13)

Forget that soppy Ang Lee Hulk soap opera a few years back. This is shaping up to be the real green deal, and considering how hard it is to get Edward Norton to actually WANT to do a movie (let alone a superhero one), this should be pretty interesting...



------------------------------------------------------


The Happening
(June 13)

It's M. Night Shyamalan. And I'm a real sucker for M. Night Shyamalan. Hey, I LIKED all those movies he made after The Sixth Sense, ok?




------------------------------------------------------


Wall-E
(June 26)

What can I say about this movie that I haven't gushed about already? This is the movie I'm REALLY waiting for, and it's not just because I'm a Pixar freak. Heck, even its TRAILER was better than any other movie so far this year...



------------------------------------------------------


Wanted
(June 26)

Comic adaptation. Angelina Jolie. James McAvoy. That dude who did Night Watch and Day Watch. Do I really need to say more?





------------------------------------------------------


Hancock
(July 2)

Will Smith in a superhero movie that is not based on a comic book. Doesn't sound too bad a premise, except that I really hope we don't get another nauseating overload of Smith-ness like we did in I Am Legend.



------------------------------------------------------


Hellboy II: The Golden Army
(July 11)

Hellboy is back! Woohoo! And this time, Del Toro is bringing out an entire ARMY of fantasy creatures! Now lets just hope they don't decide to call it Super Sapiens II this time around...




------------------------------------------------------


The Dark Knight
(July 18)

The one everyone seems to be waiting for. Heath Legder's final bow - potentially the greatest Joker ever. BATMAN. Don't bluff lar, you KNOW YOU WANNA SEE THIS.





------------------------------------------------------


The X-Files: I Want To Believe
(July 25)

Hey, it's the X-FILES. It's Mulder and Scully. And it's not gonna have all that stupid conspiracies that killed the TV show in the first place. So Of COURSE I want to believe it'll be great!

No comments: