Wednesday, 23 April 2008

The Most Addictively Indelicate Statement to Be Made in Rock 'N Roll



I don't listen to mainstream music much. And I'm glad, because nothing I've heard in mainstream music this year so far has come even as close to being as addictively catchy as the songs in The Indelicates' American Demo album are.

Ok, their music isn't exactly high art even though they mention the word 'Art' in their lyrics a lot. But boy is it addictive. I love the the combination of the male and female vocals, their catchy tunes, the brilliantly simple yet articulate lyrics, and the fact that they take on the highly philosophical question of what would have happened er.. If Jeff Buckley Had Lived:

If Jeff Buckley had lived, and his voice still was heard
On the weak second album, and difficult third
Then the critics, who broke him, he couldn't forgive
Would grow old and forget him, if Jeff Buckley had lived

Ngehehehehe. Mrs. Jeff Buckley, what say you to that? :D

My favorite songs on this album are The Last Significant Statement to Be Made in Rock 'n Roll, New Art For The People, and We Hate The Kids (which kinda sounds like 4 Non Blondes' What's Up and Bon Jovi's Livin' on a Prayer at first), though the rest are pretty cool songs as well.

BTW, a sample of their songs can be found HERE, as well as a pretty good description of the band (better than mine, at least. heh). Go check it out - this is definitely an album I'm gonna buy. If I can even find it in Malaysia. :S Oh well, Amazon it is then...


--------------------------------------------

BTW, I've decided that from this post onwards I'm going to add a little list at the end of ALL my music posts listing the best songs I've heard so far in the year. And I'm calling it... The "If You Only Listen to 10 Songs in 2008, Listen To..." list; and it'll be updated in every Music-related post I put up here. It's like my own little Music Chart, with my favorites right on top; but the difference is if I haven't heard anything worth putting on the list since the last music post, then the songs will remain the same lor...

Anyway... here goes!

If You Only Listen to 10 Songs in 2008, Listen To...

  1. A&E (Goldfrapp)
  2. Mercy (Duffy)
  3. The Last Significant Statement To Be Made In Rock 'n Roll (The Indelicates)
  4. Whose Authority (Nada Surf)
  5. Oxford Comma (Vampire Weekend)
  6. Chasing Pavements (Adele)
  7. Wrestlers (Hot Chip)
  8. Too Drunk To Dream (Magnetic Fields)
  9. Salute Your Solution (The Raconteurs)
  10. Going On (Gnarls Barkley)

No comments: