Thursday, 29 May 2008

Reviewing Reviews of My Reviews

I'll be the first to admit that I'm no film critic. I don't know much about film-making techniques, cinematografifi, and I certainly am not qualified to analyse a film from the inside out. Heck, I'm just someone who likes watching movies for the fun of it, and just happens to occasionally write 'reviews' about it to encourage/discourage people to/from watch/watching it.

I tend to write my 'reviews' (and by that, I mean the reviews I do in my day job, not the Not-Reviews I do in the blog) based on whether I liked the movie or not. You see, when I think a movie is a good watch, I'd like more people to watch it. And if I think a movie is crap, I would prefer no one watches it so that it bombs and no one ever makes a sequel of it *coughAVPcough*.

Sure, I get a lot of people disagreeing with what I wrote - the Wilful Sunflower, for instance, read my review and went to watch Prince Caspian based on what I wrote... she ended up being er... upset with the movie because she didn't think it was as good as I thought it was (in my defence, I never said it was good. I just said it was decent, and better than a lot of other adaptations out there. HEHEHE).

But that's just it. People go to movies for different reasons and expect different things. I loved Indiana Jones 4 for all its cheesiness and fun adventure, and was willing to overlook the stupid Tarzan and alien shit. Others weren't, one friend even calling it a 'shit film'.

I hated Speed Racer because it felt so utterly forced and unreal even for a movie based on a cartoon; while others hailed it as a masterpiece of turning anime into live-action. I liked Cloverfield because of its unique perspective that allowed you to be INSIDE the movie itself; others just threw up while wathcing it.

Anyway, my point is, everyone has their own opinions of movies they watch, and I certainly don't expect everyone to agree with the 'reviews' I write. So when people disagree with my positive reviews, or complain about my negative reviews, I usually take it with a pinch of salt and say, "Well, I liked it, if you didn't, too bad lor."

What I CANNOT stand is people implying that I wrote those reviews just because I got sent to cover the premiere, or got to watch the movie for free, or the distributers bribed me with movie posters.

Well then, SCREW YOU, HIPPIE. You don't agree with the review, FINE. Don't go around implying that I wasn't being objective, because that's like the BIGGEST INSULT you could give me, and I don't get insulted very easily. So yeah, go screw yourself, go to hell, and THEN die. But thanks for giving me something to blog about anyway. Heh.

No comments: