Monday, 27 October 2008

A Half-Drunken, Free-Written Ode To Someone In Particular

I'd almost forgotten how it was like - to just sit, drink, and talk. With you. A proper conversation, with a proper friend, is like the best beer, or wine, or whatever floats your boat, which is also like the best kind of addiction. Maybe it's also the company, maybe it's the compatibility of the friends, or maybe, just maybe, it's because some people think so alike that even the songs they sing are the same. Like the sheer poetry of a Paul Simon lyric, like the feeling you get when Lightbody sings 'Have Heart, My Dear', it all seems so familiar, so warm, and so calming. It's just nice to have someone who understands what I say, without me having to explain it over and over again. And in a strange way, I understand you as well, even in that strange, motormouth way you say it that most people would not fathom but which I have no trouble understanding at all. You, may be the sum of different aspects of a single personality, capable of individual friendship but splintered when in a group, but that's just you. Sometimes you wonder if things had turned out differently, would it be all the same? But then, if you think about it, if things had been different, would we still be the same? Run, chase cars, crack the shutters on a hundred million suns. Life is but a Snow Patrol song, but when it all comes down to it, it does begin to get to me that sometimes you know more about me than I do. Sometimes. But isn't that what friends are for? If you didn't know me, who else would?

No comments: