Monday, 27 October 2008

MUSICLARITY: How a Band Named Goo Inspired a Blog Named Eyeris

I've decided to sod the idea of having a separate blog of music, and just post all music posts here instead. God knows I already have enough trouble thinking up posts for this blog, let alone maintain ANOTHER one for music alone. I'll keep the old posts on Musiclarity up, but in future, all music posts will be posted HERE instead. Yes, including the links for 'acquiring' the songs. :D

------------------------------------------------------------



Iris is probably my personal favorite song, EVER. I love it so much I even fashioned my online nick after it. Take the song title, replace the 'I' with 'eye' for the 'cool' factor (it was also supposed to prevent people from thinking I'm a girl, which unfortunately never seems to work) and you get 'eyeris'. Not bad, huh?

Anyway, the reason I like Iris is not because I watched City of Angels, which I never have mostly because I don't like Nic Cage much. But anyway, the reason I love Iris is the combination of the melancholic melody, the soaring chorus, and my personal favorite part of it - the lyrics. It's one of those songs I can listen to over and over again (which I have been doing throughout the years), and still not get sick of it. Heck, I've even blogged about the same damn song countless times before too.

To me, the Goo Goo Dolls are one of those bands that I will always love, never mind that their new material has been pretty shoddy, to say the least. Their problem, IMHO? Iris was such a mega hit that they have since struggled to live up to that song's potential, choosing instead to wallow in similar sounding songs and albums.

They're hardly a one-trick pony - meaning they don't just do depressed, emo songs; but can also do some pretty good alternative rock. Long Way Down from the A Boy Named Goo album is one example, as was Name, which was their claim to fame before Iris.

But then Iris happened, and the rest, together with the band, was history. Dizzy Up The Girl was a fairly good album, with great songs, but after that their albums just faded into obscurity.

What a shame.

Acquisitions: Goo Goo Dolls - Iris (acoustic version)


DISCLAIMER:
All the mp3s available here are for sampling purposes only. So don't be an irresponsible pirate - if you really like the songs, be sure to buy the album also, ok? BTW, if you have a problem with the mp3s I've listed on the blog and want me to take them down, please email me at eyeriz@gmail.com, and I'll remove it at once.


No comments: