Wednesday, 1 September 2010

Super Non-Halal Vodka

When I was doing 'research' for one of my Tipsy-Turvy columns, I stumbled upon an article that mentioned bacon-flavoured vodka. I didn't really think much about it then, until Deep actually blogged about it later on, and his post included a few links to recipes on how to make your own bacon vodka.

And since I had about half a bottle of vodka left from the free bottle I won from air-guitaring at the Absolut Rock party, I decided, what the heck, lets try to make some bacon vodka!

It's actually really easy. First you get some bacon, and fry it:



You can either leave it in strips, or cut them into chips like I did:



Now that you have your nicely fried bacon, get your bottle of vodka:



And dump all the bacon inside!



Yeah, looks damn yucky, I know.

Anyway, the next step is to keep the bottle aside in a cupboard for about 3 weeks.

At the end of 3 weeks, put the bottle into the freezer to solidify the fat, and then use coffee filter paper to filter it.

At the end of it, you should get a very nice golden colored vodka that actually smells exactly like bacon (albeit with a very strong vodka kick).



After all that, how does it taste?

BLOODY BRILLIANT.

No kidding. Bacon vodka may sound a little yucky, but it actually tastes BRILLIANT. Fireangel will attest to it, we actually tried it neat for the first time two weeks ago at a little Drink Eyeris' Booze get-together, and it was great!

At first taste, it tastes exactly like bacon - freshly-fried bacon; and then the vodka kicks in. And the finish is a nice, lingering bacon flavor.

Whoever first thought of infusing bacon with vodka, I salute you. Heck if the commercially produced BAKON VODKA tastes anything like what I made, then someone needs to start bringing bottles of the stuff here RIGHT NOW!

Though I reckon that we're gonna need some SUPER-non-halal stickers to slap to them bottles....

14 comments:

KY said...

waa must try!

陳一豪 said...

Hey did you know that bacon chips are cheaper than strips?

That's because those are the odds and ends that nobody wants.

eyeris said...

Nice! Next time I make bacon vodka I'll be sure to buy those! (Though we already get our bacon quite cheaply, haha)

Anonymous said...

wasting bacon is a crime >.<

eyeris said...

Who said this was a waste of bacon?

camlok said...

errr... isn't vodka non-halal to begin with??

eyeris said...

exactly! So now its SUPER non-halal! :D

Deep said...

Pass the bacon to me pls. I'll have it with bread.

suanie said...

i'm not sure if i'm brave enough to try this. the photo of the bacon in the vodka looks damn disgusting

simon said...

whoa i really admire your restraints from eating the nice crispy bacon after frying it... if it was me i'd wallop them in a minute...

CreativeBitchin said...

add crushed black peppercorns next time for additional flavour? looks rather gross but i wouldn't mind giving it a shot =P

FA said...

yeah suanie it really SUCKS dont even try it it's like PONDSCUM!!! STAY CLEAR FROM THAT PIECE OF SHIT!!

(pssst, eyeris, gimme her share k! :P )

sicko said...

interesting the bacon idea..used to stuff dried chillies and freeze it for weeks. good for the runs if ur having constipation.

eiling lim said...

shit la. read this too late or else would have made it for the coming party. :(