Thursday, 1 August 2013

Kilkenny Ale Appreciation Night! YEAY!



Kilkenny, Kilkenny, how I love thee,
You were the first beer I fell in love with, truly.
And the beer I still drink often and constantly,
Though I've tried many beers to sate my curiosity,
I always seem to come back to you, Kilkenny.
So imagine my surprise when I was invited for a party,
Where we could "Experience the World of Kilkenny"
The first ever Kilkenny event! How quaint! How twee!
So I called upon fellow fan of beer and Kilkenny,
The Ridiculously and Impossibly Great Suanie,
And off we went to Publika's The Bee,
To join the Kilkenny ale appreciation community,
Where we had great beer with great company!



Forgive the bad poetry, but Kilkenny does that to me. You see, everyone has a favorite beer, the beer they go back to time and again. For me, I may have tried over 500 different types of beer to date (And here's the Untappd badge to prove it):



But the one beer I've always loved, and keep going back to over and over again, is Kilkenny.

Anyway, throughout my years of drinking Kilkenny and beers in general, I have never been to a SINGLE Kilkenny-centric event.... that's because there have not been any, as far as I know.

Yup, this "Experience the World of Kilkenny" thingy was actually the FIRST EVER Kilkenny event. In my head, I was thinking, "FINALLY! They're FINALLY trying to do something with Kilkenny! About time!"

Upon arrival at the venue, it was nice to have pretty girls serving me a nice cold glass of Kilkenny almost immediately:



Hello, gorgeous! And you look pretty too, dear girl.

The event at The Bee Publika was quite fun (and having lots of awesome Kilkenny beers obviously made it even more fun). We had lots of beers, obviously, and met a lot of friends too.



Look, it's Father-to-be,
The awesome Timothy,
With a glass of Kilkenny,
Together with me and Suanie!

And here's Suanie looking pwetty with her glass of Kilkenny hehe.



Look ma, I got a cool Kilkenny T-shirt too!



Yes, I got a Kilkenny T-Shirt. WOOT!

Throughout the event, we were taken on a journey of all things Kilkenny, which food pairings:



Yay food! The skewers were my favorite of the night. can't go wrong with meat and Kilkenny, really. In fact, I don't think there's any food Kilkenny doesn't go well with, hehe.

There was also a Masterclass session conducted by Ben Ng of GAB Professional Solutions. That's him in between Suanie and KY:



Ben taught us the difference between drinking Kilkenny at a SUPER COLD temperature, and Kilkenny at a slightly warmer (but not warm) temperature.



The Ice cold on is in that icy looking glass with dry ice, in case you were wondering. Duh.

The difference? The SUPER COLD Kilkenny was refreshing, yes, but the iciness of the beer muted a lot of the awesome malty and creamy flavors of the beer, so you could hardly taste anything. The slightly warmer Kilkenny however (again, I stress, warmER, not WARM), was awesome - the creaminess, maltiness, and the awesome nutty, caramelly flavors came through beautifully, the full-bodiedness of the ale was more apparent, and the finish was just so much more satisfying than the ice-cold one.



There was also an awesome sand-art performance by Loong Bee, a renowned sand artist and story teller. It was quite awesome to see him using the sand so fluidly and gracefully during the presentation, which covered the history and tradition of Kilkenny.



So there you have it, the first ever Kilkenny event in Malaysia! Here's to more such events, and to more people joining the Kilkenny ale appreciation community!

If you wanna know more about Kilkenny, you can visit facebook.com/kilkenny.my.

2 comments:

KY said...

Ben is great! Now Suanie? She's ferocious!

I love me more Kilkenny please!

suanie said...

holy mada, it rhymes!