Wednesday, 16 October 2013

Beer of the Week: Kilkenny Kilkenny, How I love thee.

I've always been a sucker for ales in general, and Kilkenny is probably the one I drink the most of. Heck, according to my Untappd stats, Kilkenny is the beer I've drunk the most... EVER.

Why do I love it so much? Well, One, because it's so easily available here in Malaysia, and two, it's is JUST SO AWESOME TO DRINK.



Anyway, here's a little info about Kilkenny. With over 300 years of history (it dates back to the 14th century in Ireland’s oldest operating brewery, St Francis Abbey), Kilkenny is one of Ireland's oldest brands, and it is an Irish Cream Ale that used to be brewed by monks using natural ingredients and water from the St Francis Well.

It's also made from 100% Irish malted barley:



The lighter coloured one is normal barley, the dark one is malted barley, BTW.

Technically, Kilkenny may not be a British ale, but the style and flavour of it is pretty darn close to one, and the creaminess of the ale is something some British ales just don't have (some of them tend to be rather thin, to be honest). What sets Kilkenny apart the fact that it is nitrogenated, whereas most brews are commonly carbonated. This process is what gives Kilkenny its distinctive features – the velvety smooth, creamy head and its amber red colour.



I've been drinking Kilkenny for years now, and I'm happy to say that this is one beer I'll never get tired of. I may dabble in other beers from time to time, but Kilkenny is still the beer I like to have when I need something nice and familiar.

Cheers!

1 comment:

KY said...

Suan introduced me to Kilkenny, smooth and yums